lntercultural competence is the ability to function effectively across cultures, to think and act appropriately, and to communicate and work with people from different cultural backgrounds – at home or abroad. Intercultural competence is a valuable asset in an increasingly globalised world where we are more likely to interact with people from different cultures and countries who have been shaped by different values, beliefs and experiences. (source: Monash University).
According to Professor Fethi Mansouri, UNESCO Chairholder, intercultural dialogue is in itself an essential tool that we will need in the post-COVID-19 environment. We will need to renegotiate a new global compact, a new social contract. Dialogue will have to play a key role in that. Perhaps it is being compromised right now, but it has a big role to play in the post-COVID-19 world that will emerge.
The Anna Lindh Foundation Swedish network presents an interactive online training for civil society activists from the Euro-Med region. After this training, you will have learned practical intercultural skills and increased your understanding of intercultural competence and how to talk about and address intercultural opportunities and challenges.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
· Intercultural competence, what it is and how it works
· Identity and migration
· Culture and cultural differences - as a concept with benefits and limitations
· The danger of the single story – on stereotypes
· Dealing with value conflicts
· A good balance between theory and practice delivered in two 2 1/2-hour- long online sessions via Zoom.
· Big group presentations mixed with small group discussions in break-out sessions
· Self-reflection exercises to do between the two Zoom sessions
THE TRAINING IS FOR YOU WHO:
· Are resident of the 42 Euro-Med countries
· Are working in an international and/or intercultural setting
· Want to increase your knowledge about and understanding of intercultural communication
· Want to listen to and share ideas about diversity, culture and intercultural encounters
Number of participants: 24
Cost: the training is free of charge.
Deadline: Thursday 11 June 2020
Click here to Apply online: https://bit.ly/training-application-form
This Training is With the support of Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs